Monday, November 3, 2014

Moving Right Along

With the advent of my friend and co-conspirator's upcoming book, Dancing with Rejection, I am compelled to re-ignite this blog in hopes of continuing to serve all of our fellow kidney patients.

You see, my friend and nearly world-renowned artist Michael Gaudet is in the final stages of publishing his debut book (read more about it here), and when he kindly shared the link for my blog, I realized it needed a little attention!

My aim for this blog is to provide a myriad of resources for pre- post- and current kidney patients and their families. If you aren't sure you fall into one of these categories, ask yourself the following questions:

Have I/Am I/Do I or someone I know...
  1.  ... been diagnosed with ESRD (End-Stage Renal Disease)?
  2.  ... been diagnosed with ESRF (End-Stage Renal Failure)?
  3.  ... on dialsyis?
  4.  ... on the waiting list to receive a transplant?
  5.  ... received a kidney or kidney/pancreas transplant?
  6.  ... seeing a nephrologist (kidney doctor)?
  7.  ... suffer from diabetes that has led to kidney complications?
  8.  ... have recurrent kidney infections leading to scar tissue?
  9.  ... ever donated a kidney?

I propose a challenge!

Let's see how many people we can help with the following experiment:

Ask 6 of your friends to ask six of their friends to ask six of their friends (that's 18 people for each reader to reach out to, however indirectly) if they or someone they know have experience with kidney issues. Use the above list to help you frame your question(s).

My hypothesis is that, regardless of your social circle, you will find at least 5 of those 18 people are  experiencing (or have experienced) severe kidney issues. Or know someone that has.  And as the circle widens, that number will also increase, and probably exponentially.

When you find those people, alert them to helpful resources. Knowledge is power, after all!

Some resources you can share include:

Also, be sure to see my "Resource" link for more info, including children's literature to help them deal with it personally or indirectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment