Sunday, February 24, 2013

Depression

Many people have suffered depression, whether mildly or severely. Sometimes it is short-lived, or circumstantial. Other times, it is more severe, and there nothing on which you can put your finger on to say "this is the reason for it."

I have suffered with depression. I think mine was circumstantial. I couldn't control my thoughts, my moods, anything. Before I knew it I was over the edge. My family member's depression did not help.

But mine may not have been circumstantial, because that was a few years ago and over the past year I have been complaining to my doctor about moody-ness again. I explained that I am/was not depressed, just _itchy. She said to go ahead and start with such and such a pill anyway.

And that always makes me think that (as great as my doctor is) we as a society are just too "pill-happy." But, because I have other health issues and cannot take herbal remedies and whatnot, I took her advice anyway. I was talking things out on my (then) one-year-old so what choice did I have? I am now weaning myself back off of it again.

As someone who has been there, I can say that the author of this article has it right. As much as people want to help - and people like me, who are DO-ERS really find the advice in this article difficult - it is just what the 'doctor' ordered.

If you know someone who is suffering from depression, take a moment to read the article below. Or share it with someone who does. It will help both the person suffering from depression AND the ones suffering through it with him/her.

How to Love Someone with Depression



© Christina D. George and In the beginning, 2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Christina D. George and In the beginning with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

No comments:

Post a Comment